Sunday, March 20, 2011

Murphy's Law

You know what I mean. "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." We've all had days like this. It's not always big things that go wrong. Sometimes it's just a whole bunch of little things that add up. It's enough to discourage you and cause you to think "This is the worst day--EVER!!!"

Today has been one of those days. Right now, I'm thinking to myself "I think I would like to go back to bed and start this day fresh."

Before we even left for church this morning, things were starting to run amok. My baby girl, who is the best burper ever, refused to give me a good burp. As soon as I placed her in her carseat--with all the straps fully buckled, of course--she spit up half the contents of her stomach. Rob and the kids were already in the van (kind of Rob's way of saying LET'S GO!). So, I took her to church with a wet shirt front. Not a big deal, right?

I also forgot the checkbook. We were supposed to buy tickets to the Spring Banquet. I can write the check at home and bring it tonight to the evening service. Not a big deal, right?

Then, as we were leaving after the church service , Rob decided to ask Aurora to take a few things out to the van. In her defense, she'd never been asked something like this before. Usually, we all pile out to the van together; she has never been given keys to lock or unlock the doors. There's an obvious reason for this: She locked both our sets of keys in the van! My set of keys was on the diaper bag she was asked to take out to the van. Rob gave her his keys to do the task. We had to call a locksmith to pop open our locks. That's $40 we'll never see again. *sigh* This one was kind of a big deal. Not the end of the world, though.

We had been home from church for a short period of time; long enough to feed the kids lunch. There was a knock on the front door. Remember that fence I was telling you about in my recent post? Our neighbors who share that fence with us are tired of looking at that eyesore. They want to replace it soon and are willing to share the cost with us. It's awesome that they are willing to do that! We can't afford the whole durn thing. However, God is going to have to provide for this one because I just don't know how we're going to do it. This one was kind of a big deal, too. Again, not the end of the world, though.

While the neighbor was talking to Rob on the front porch, I kept hearing a buzzing sound in the window. Upon investigation, I found a bee. In my house! Yipe! I put the baby in her crib and became the Ultimate Bee Hunter. I did get some revenge on Rob for all the times he has killed a bug and then shoved it in my face while screaming "Aaah!". He has freaked me out on many occasions and I took this opportunity to return the favor. I got him good, too!!! So, see? No big deal, right?

I really didn't have any problem with the way today has been going until: Murphy's Law affected my baby! That's just plain low. Ellie has really been responsive to her Winnie the Pooh mobile. She loves it! She will follow the characters while smiling and cooing at them. I wound it up before I killed the bee. When I went to pick her up from her crib after the bee was properly disposed of, I realized that I never heard the music begin. Her mobile winder wouldn't wind anymore! Talk about the straw that broke the camel's back. I just wanted to cry.

It's now 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I am waiting for the next step of Murphy's Law to jump out and bite me in the rear. *sigh* I haven't even had lunch yet. No big deal, right?

*Edited to add: at 3 p.m. I broke my favorite "Count Your Blessings" spoonrest. Does anyone else see the irony in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment