Friday, July 1, 2011

A Very Merry Half Birthday

I can't believe it is already July 1st! Just a measly 6 months ago, I was sitting in a hospital room adoring my newborn baby girl.

Yesterday was Elliana's half-birthday. We went and had photos taken at Olan Mills. I get FREE portrait packages--which always end up costing me $10-20 because I usually want more than one pose, but I digress.

We got a bunch of really great poses: In a tub with rubber duckies, laying on her tummy under a tiny bench playing peek-a-boo, sitting next to a rocking chair while playing with the cute teddy bear sitting on the rocker, and of course I had to get a pose of her wearing her tutu. I only purchased the bathtub and tutu poses. I have one of her in the tutu for every month thus far. All the other months, she was shirtless in the tutu, but this month I put a cute onesie on her. It's time that girl puts some clothes on, I guess. I don't know why, I just felt like she needed to be covered this month. It's weird, I know.

Today we went to her 6 month Well-Baby checkup. I can't believe how much she's grown! When she was born, she weighed a mere 8 lbs. 8 oz. and was only 20.5 inches long. Today she weighs 18 lbs. 13 oz. and is a whopping 27 inches tall! I don't think Aurora was 27 inches tall at her 1 year appointment!!! This girl is destined to be either a supermodel or a WNBA basketball star. Her feet are still tiny, though! So is her head, comparatively. Her height and weight are both up in the 90+ percentiles, but her head is in the 67th percentile. It's a pretty head, even still.

Both Ryan and Aurora were showing off their baby sister to the Pediatrician today. I could hardly get a word in edgewise! The Pediatrician would ask a question and Ryan would chime in about some wonderful fact he knew about Ellie (which, thankfully, his facts have come a long way from the 1 month fact mishap). Aurora was fascinated by everything the doctor was doing. She wanted to be right there! I was asked to sit up on the table with Ellie in my lap; Aurora decided she needed to sit up on the table with us. I looked at Aurora and told her to get down. When she asked why, I said "Too many cooks spoil the broth." She cocked her head to the side and said, "What?!?!?" I told her I'd explain it to her later. The poor thing didn't even know what broth was. I've heard that saying my whole life. I've never thought about having to explain it to someone before. Children are truly fascinating, the way their minds work and how literal they take everything.

So, on the car ride home, I explained to Aurora what happens when there are too many cooks trying to make soup--your soup could end up having too many of the same ingredients and end up being ruined. I explained to her that when she was trying to take over the jobs of the grown-ups in the room, she was filling the room with "too many cooks". She looked at me all kinds of confused and said "Mommy, nobody in that room was a cook!" *sigh* I'll explain it better when she's older, I guess.

Back to Elliana... She's been having some tummy troubles for a while now. I've talked to the doctor about it and we're just going to keep an eye on it. I've tried to start her on solids a few times now and it just hasn't settled well with her. So, the pediatrician is on board with skipping cereals and just feeding her veggies and fruits and whatever other table foods we have. Of course, they will all have to be mashed up and made into a consistency she can handle.

I'm also waiting for her to roll from her back onto her tummy. She's scooting all over the floor while she lays on her back, but she hates--I mean HATES!!!--being on her tummy. I'm not in too big of a hurry for her to start all that mobility, though. This house is so far from baby-proof. On a related note: I'm looking for ways to find new homes for all the Squinkies in this house. I'm beginning to wonder if they are choking hazards or if they are small enough that they'll just get swallowed and end up in a diaper again. Whichever is the case, I don't want them around anymore. They annoy me. Plain and simple.

Also, just a random thought: In 6 months, we have to come up with a plan for Ryan's 6th birthday and Ellie's 1st birthday. They're only 2 days apart. Ryan will want a real birthday party with friends from his class; we will want to do something small and special for Ellie's 1st birthday. How are we going to handle that? Will Ryan feel like we're stealing his thunder, or will he have a good attitude about it? Time will tell.

If anything has been learned over these past months, it will all be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment