Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ryan's Rough Day

He knew it was gonna be a rough day from the time he woke up. Poor Bubba.

When he crawled into bed with me this morning, he stubbed his toe on one of the bed posts. I was desperate to keep the baby and Aurora asleep for a little while longer, so I wrapped my arms around him and did my best to make him feel better. He tried so hard to be quiet, the poor dear.

After he finally calmed down, he wanted to get some breakfast. While he was coming up the stairs, the dog almost tripped him and he spilled his dry cereal on the ground, having to pick it up and start over again.

Right before we walked out the door to swim lessons, he knocked his head pretty hard on the corner of the breakfast bar in the kitchen. It left a pretty good-sized welt on the top of his head.
While at swimming lessons, there were all sorts of bugs around. He had to go potty before class started, but wouldn't step foot in the bathroom because there were all sorts of beetles crawling all over the floor (it rained really hard yesterday and all the ground beetles around here come to the surface for a few days after a hard rain). Halfway through his lesson, he decided he needed to go bad enough to brave the bugs. Reluctantly, he walked into the bathroom alone. There were june bugs all over the floor, I watched 2 or 3 crawl out while I was standing guard outside the bathroom. He finished as quickly as he could and ran out--all the while trying to pull up his swim trunks. I did catch him before anyone could see and pulled his trunks up properly. tee-hee!

There were wasps flying around at the pool today, too. One of them kept flying rather menacingly around the tables we moms were sitting on. We kept shoo-ing it away and it kept coming back. I don't know what it was protecting, but it was not happy with us. As the whistle blew, I was watching my kids trail out of the pool slowly. Ryan kept jumping back into the ankle deep water at the corner edge of the pool. Apparently, another menacing wasp was buzzing around his head. He swatted at it and it must have landed on him. All of a sudden, Ryan screamed "Bee!" and started crying, grabbing at the side of his jaw. I had Ellie in my arms and started running toward him (which was, I'm sure, quite a comical sight). I didn't know exactly what had happened to him, but my Ryan only screams like that when he's really hurt.

Sure enough, there was a little hole where a wasp would have stung him. It was starting to swell at the site immediately. Ryan started calling it a mosquito bite, but I asked him how big the bug was and he said it had big, loud wings. Unfortunately, the pool didn't have anything for bee or wasp stings. All they had was Neosporin and Hydrocortisone. A mom at the pool suggested I get some Benadryl to help with the swelling ASAP! This mom said she is allergic to bee stings and has to carry an EPI-Pen everywhere she goes. I sucked in air and prayed that my boy was not allergic!

So, off we went to the store to buy some Benadryl. I administered it immediately and within minutes, the swelling was gone. Thankfully, Ryan is NOT allergic to whatever stung him today! In addition to removing the swelling, the Benadryl had a positive effect on him; he took a good nap today! After all the excitement and misery from the rough morning he had, he certainly needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment