Sunday, January 30, 2011

Milk from there


Elliana is 1 month old today. Having kept her home this whole time, I was getting antsy to go back to church and worship with my fellow believers. This morning, I decided, was the best morning to start back again. It really helped that Ellie let me get a good night's sleep last night, only waking me up 2 or 3 times to eat and change a diaper. I got a 4 hour stretch in there, as well! So, she and I got all gussied up this morning and headed off to church with the rest of the family.
When we got to church, Aurora and Ryan walked around with me while we waited for their Sunday school teachers to arrive. Both the older kids were beaming proudly, showing off their big sister/brother skills. Aurora would let everyone in on some sweet little fact about her little sister. The adults would all smile and giggle at her and she puffed up with each turn. Ryan, not to be outdone, kept trying to come up with some fascinating fact about Ellie. I was watching him as his older sister got all the attention; I could see the wheels turning in his mind as he frantically searched for something Aurora had forgotten to mention. I had no idea what we were in for.
Ryan finally came up with his exciting fact when we introduced the baby to his Sunday school teacher, who is a man. The fact Ryan decided to share with him? Brace yourself:
Ryan said, "This is my little sister and she drinks milk from THERE!" (and, yes, he pointed right at my chest)
I was mortified! Of course, it's ok to breastfeed. I mean, obviously I feel that way--I do it! But, the look on his Sunday school teacher's face was one of absolute embarrassment. I don't know who he was embarrassed for more, me or him! I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole! Ryan, completely oblivious to the squirms going on all around him, walked into the classroom so proud of his special Elliana fact.
I walked away, hoping this man would compartmentalize that memory to some recessed corner of his mind that would be forgotten in 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment