Saturday, June 15, 2013

Summer Break, Week 1: Days 1-7

Day 1:  The natives are angry that their previous institutionalized incarceration has ended. Not knowing what to do with all their newfound freedom, they have protested by killing my micro-USB charger and my favorite straw cup. These incidents were masqueraded as "accidents", but as their co-creator, I am now very suspect. The youngest is confused about our new schedule and is rebelling at nap time. I have separated the inhabitants and sufficiently laid down the law. Mutiny is always but a whisper away.

Day 2:   I placed household items for sale on the List of Craig. Incidentally, 4 people wanted to rendezvous at the same time today to purchase said items. Basically, I performed a yard sale out of my geriatric station wagon in the neighborhood pharmacy's parking lot.  Said geriatric automobile staged its own kind of mutiny, refusing to remain started when I turned the ignition.  The youngest inhabitant was asleep at this time.  Their Co-Creator and I decided to abide by Rule #1: Never wake a sleeping child.  Thus, I was to await the end of nap time in the heat of my vehicle, or walk the neighborhood roads to home.  Having seriously underestimated the distance from my home, I walked through the door an hour later, just in time for the nap to have ended.  Co-Creator drove to the mutinous vehicle and, rather quickly and unbearably easily, was able to drive it home--and back to get the other automobile in our possession.  Later this evening, I overheard a suspicious mechanical laughter from the driveway as I was nursing my newly acquired sunburn.

Day 3:   The rains are incessant. So are the requests for electronic screens. The youngest, in an attempt to defend her territory, continually grabs objects from the other inhabitants, causing them to chase her down. Soon the rains will cease and the restless natives can go into the great outdoors for their entertainment. Thus far, we have avoided mutiny. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 4:   The male inhabitant awoke at 5am, in mutinous fashion. He insisted I connect an electronic screen to WiFi. Having ignored his request, I sent him back to bed with a good book. I knew it was just a matter of time before the other inhabitants would join him. The day was going quite well until I attempted to use the electrified floor sweeper. It was at this time that, over the din of the electric suction, the restless natives found the acrylic paint and brushes. I have now found myself in possession of a dozen half-emptied paint bottles. I am, however, entirely unsure where the contents of said paint bottles currently are housed; all 3 of these cherubic residents have no evidence of paint on their persons or their clothing. This mystery shall be solved in due time, I suppose.

Day 5:   Dental appointments for all 3 inhabitants this morning. The damage consisted of 4 cavities. In one mouth. The female residents are both dentist-free for another 6 months. The male resident will suffer greatly for his constant thievery of the pantry dried fruit candies. Currently, as I record this, the Co-Creator is in with the littlest mutineer. He is singing a song, which she will, in turn, sing at ear-piercing volume to her roommate as soon as Co-Creator exits premises. This is not their first show-down. Native roommate is asleep. Correction, roommate WAS asleep, became awakened long enough to holler "Shut up!" to current mutineer. The night is still young!

Day 6:  Update, 12:32 a.m.:   Little mutineer is currently viewing an animated movie. As her Co-Creator, I am exhausted. I will dock nap hours tomorrow as disciplinary action for such insolence.


Day 7:  After such a long night of unrest, our Day 6 was incredibly, blissfully uneventful. The inhabitants helped work on Co-Creator's gift for his Day this weekend. The residents fully enjoyed every messy moment. Storms blew in last evening and broke the front yard foliage. Branches are everywhere. Today begins the Co-Creator's first vacation of the season. His reward? Neither the chain saw nor Ol' Busty Blue will start up. The replacement part for Ol' Busty went on quickly and easily, however, it was not the cause of vehicular mutiny. Back to the drawing board...

No comments:

Post a Comment