Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Break, Day 14: A Job for Me!

We interrupt this regularly scheduled, oddly written update to announce that I got a job!!!

Rob and I had been trying to figure out a budget which would allow us to continue both Aurora and Ryan in their Tae Kwon Do training once their 6 month contract was up in August.  We could only come up with ways to put one child through, but could not squeeze the remaining tuition out of anywhere.  I was not going to choose only one child to continue training.  I'm just not that Mom.  So, I started praying for God to make a way.  I have seen such positive emotional and physical growth in both of them, especially Aurora.  Her self-esteem has increased significantly and that is so important in a girl her age!  Keeping them in TKD was beyond my ability, but I fully believed that if God thinks it is good enough for them, He would make a way for it to happen.

Shortly after I began praying about this, I had heard that Master King was looking for some help at Black Belt USA and offered to volunteer now to start racking up credit so the kids could continue taking classes in August.  I explained that I had experience that was relevant to the work that he needed to be done and left it at that.  I did not oversell myself and was not pushy.  In fact, I left the conversation wondering if I had said enough--which is usually not the case for me; I usually wonder if I said too much!  So, I let it ride and didn't mention it again.

Fast forward to Wednesday, June 19th.  The kids were at TKD and had a fairly good workout.  After their class, I was gathering children and visiting with some of the other moms as they were picking up their kids.  Master King looked at me and asked if he could speak to me.  My first thought was, "Oh, no!  What has [Ryan or Aurora, in that order] done now?"  Wouldn't you know it, he offered me a job!  Like, the kind that pays money per hour!  I wish I could say that I was just blown away, but as soon as he said it, I just smiled and silently began singing the Hallelujah Chorus while paying very close attention to every word being spoken.  When I had a moment to reflect upon this later that evening, this verse came to mind:  God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (1Cor 9:8)

The benefits: I get a few hours a week to come to work, my kids are welcome to come with me so long as they are not disruptive and allow me to be on the phone, the kids get a discounted tuition, I get to train for FREE (Hello, Muay Thai!) and I will make a few bucks while doing all this.  Now, I am not disillusioned enough to think that this is going to ADD to our budget above and beyond training at Black Belt USA, but my goal was to keep the kids there.  Goal met.  This is one Happy Mom here!!!

Today was my second day at BBUSA.  Yes, I know absolutely squat about Martial Arts training.  So far, that's all I've learned, haha!  No, of course, I'm kidding.  The more I'm learning, the more I'm becoming passionate about Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It must be contagious because Rob is contemplating taking Muay Thai with me.  Well, not WITH me, because we would have to take separate classes so one of us can be home with the kids while the other is off kicking butt.  Can you imagine me kicking butt?  I'm having a mental block on that one... I mean, in many of my inflated daydreams and fantasies, I am a butt-kicking chick, but in real life I'm truly a wimp.  So, this should be interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment