Saturday, October 16, 2010

My week without the laptop--"Pelee-onagons & Pelee-elograms"

This past week, Rob was in Asheville, NC with his National Sales Meeting. It was a long week, especially since he took the laptop with him! I missed him more than I missed the laptop--which has nothing to do with the fact that I had my trusty cell phone to appease my email and facebook addiction. Promise!

Rob had to leave for the airport at 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning. He would be gone from Sunday morning until late Thursday evening. Here's how our week went:

Day 1 (Sunday):
  • Wake everyone up at 5:30 a.m. and expect 2 young children to go back to bed around 6:30 (ha ha!)
  • Around 7:30 a.m., I hear a commotion downstairs; Hershey (our bunny) was out of his cage and the dogs were really freaked-out about it! Both dogs are miniature schnauzers and are bred to capture small game animals, like foxes and squirrels and... Rabbits!!!
  • My only indoor plant was knocked over in the commotion, depositing black dirt all over the carpet
  • Ryan was standing in the midst of everything, saying "It makes the shape of an L, Mommy!" (the dirt fell onto the carpet--you guessed it--in the shape of an L)
  • I took a deep breath and told Ryan to go get dressed. Miracle of all miracles, he did just that!
  • After Ryan got dressed, he had to go to the bathroom--where he stopped up the toilet!!! Apparently, he thought he needed to use the REST of the roll of toilet paper (there was about 1/4 of the roll left)
  • It was not even 9 a.m. at this point
  • We did make it to church in one piece. The dirt remained on the carpet until after church and everyone lived through the morning. I must brag on myself because everyone was dressed and fed and hair was brushed and I even looked fairly presentable
  • I didn't get to talk to Rob for very long; he was exhausted from his trip

Day 2 (Monday):

  • I didn't have to work because it was Columbus Day (I love working for a Credit Union)
  • Ryan had NO clean clothes for school this morning *gasp*, so we pulled some clothes out of the hamper that looked the least dirty and made it work
  • I decided to take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon (after all, what ELSE was I going to do? Rob had the laptop!)
  • Monday night is our in-home Bible study and my house was a mess, so I enlisted teen labor to vacuum the downstairs before everyone got here (thanks, Samantha!)
  • The rest of the evening was fairly uneventful, which was REALLY nice!
  • I did get to talk to Rob long enough to let him know that we all survived the day

Day 3 (Tuesday):

  • Ryan came home from school with quite an interesting report. Did you know that a circle is a "pelee-onagon"? Or that a shape with sides is called a "pelee-elogram"? Me neither! (I can't believe they are teaching 4 year-olds about polygons and parallelograms!)
  • My friend, Lynn, came over to help me put the kids to bed. She's such a great help every Tuesday! The kids just love her, too!
  • Rob called while Lynn was here, so we didn't get to talk long. At least he knew we were still alive and surviving the week without him (barely)

Day 4 (Wednesday):

  • Can I just sigh before I even start this part of the post? Thanks!
  • *sigh*
  • I was supposed to take my Gestational Diabetes glucose screening test at my 9:50 a.m. appointment, so at 8:40 a.m., I began drinking the Fruit Punch flavored drink they sent home with me. I had to finish the drink within 5 minutes of beginning it.
  • At 8:46 a.m. (not joking!) I got a call from the OB's office to inform me that he was in a delivery and I would have to reschedule my appointment. Now, mind you, I HAD to have my blood drawn at 9:45 a.m., no matter what. I rescheduled the appointment for later in the afternoon and quickly called work to reschedule my hours for the day. God love them, work was so amazing about the whole thing. I love my job!
  • I went upstairs to get dressed for work and the strangest thing happened--we had an earthquake! No kidding! I was in the bathroom and the whole house started shaking and I didn't even know what to think--at first I thought something had fallen onto our house
  • I couldn't find anything wrong with the house, so I headed out the door to get my blood drawn, and for the 3rd time this week I was going to be seen in public with no makeup while wearing my glasses *Oh, well*
  • We had church on Wednesday evening and the kids and I ate fast food for dinner
  • Rob called and I FINALLY got to sit down and have a meaningful conversation with him

Day 5 (Thursday):

  • I asked for the day off weeks ago because I just KNEW this week without Rob was going to be rough--I think I jinxed myself, though
  • I got a call very early from the OB's office regarding my glucose test results--I have learned that if I get an afternoon call from the OB regarding test results, then the results were normal... When I get a call early in the morning, not so normal.
  • Sure enough, I "failed" my glucose test (like I could study and prepare for it ahead of time, right?) and needed to take a 3 hr test that would begin at 8:30 a.m. and require 12 hour fasting before the start of the test
  • The only day in the upcoming weeks that I could fit that in was the very next day; Rob didn't have to go to work early, so he could take the kids to school and I could get to the office by 8:30 a.m. I had to call work--AGAIN!--to reschedule my hours for the 2nd time this week. Again, they were awesome about it.
  • The rest of the day went fairly smooth and Rob finally made it home!

As soon as he got home, he asked me to set the laptop up and post the beautiful pictures he took of his time in North Carolina. The fall colors were just starting to show while he was there and he took some beautiful photos of the Blue Ridge Mountains for me. We used to live in those mountains and I miss them every Fall. It was nice to see them again!

All in all, I think the kids and I managed pretty well. At least, as well as a neo-crippled pregnant lady and her 4 and 7 year-old kids could do. Rob came home to a clean(ish) house, which was still standing--in spite of the earthquake on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment