Saturday, December 10, 2011

Best Laid Plans

So, remember all those 10 Year Anniversary ideas I was playing around with?  Well, as it turns out, none of them were really feasible.

Originally, we were going to celebrate with my side of the family at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL.  That is, until we tried to nail down a date that we ALL could go.  Since the kids are in school, Rob works retail, my sister is in college and my Mom and Paul have to work around Paul's crazy ship-check schedule with Northrop Grumman, we just couldn't seem to find a week that worked for everyone.

So, we thought about sending the kids to my Mom's house and heading off to New Orleans or somewhere else on the Gulf Coast near her house.  That idea lasted a whole 10 minutes.  You see, my mom's house wasn't child-friendly when my sister and I were kids, so there was NO WAY I was going to send my 3 hurricane-force children to her house.  I can't tell you how many Hummel, Lladro, and Capodimonte figurines I broke in my life.  I'm sure that I owe her a fortune!

Then, I found this great resort out in New Mexico that I thought looked like a great retreat for me and Rob.  It had a spa (for me) and a golf course (for Rob)!!!  And, it was 10 hours from everywhere.  We could go and pretend that the whole wide world didn't exist for a day or two.  Just the two of us.  We could make it if we try...  Ok, so I got carried away there.  Going to NM would have meant that Mom had to come here to watch the kids for a few days.  Since she's coming here at the end of December, she didn't think they could make a trip back so soon for our anniversary at the end of February, first of March.  So, we had to improvise.

Which leads me to our newest plan: Here in Tulsa. Mom and Paul are coming in December 26th, give or take, and they will be here for Ryan's birthday on the 28th and Ellie's First Birthday on the 30th.  This will also mean that Mom and Paul will be present for all 3 of my children's First Birthdays!  That makes me happy--that they are willing to make the special efforts to be here for things that I feel are so important.  I know that my children aren't going to remember their 1st birthdays, but I will.

So, between the 2 birthdays, Rob and I will probably be staying at a hotel here in town.  If you see us out and about on the 29th, pretend you don't know us; we are pretending we're on a special anniversary trip and we don't want to feel "local".  Help us with the facade, ok?

I must end this post saying how blessed we are to have lasted 10 years.  Of course, I'm the blessed one to have found ANYBODY to put up with me and all my idiosyncrasies for this long!  Rob's so easy to live with (no matter what I say to the contrary) and he's a better husband than a girl like me ever dreamed of having!

No comments:

Post a Comment