Friday, February 4, 2011

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Ok, well I didn't necessarily "invent" this, but I certainly took a great idea and ran with it. Ellie had been fussy all day long and I just couldn't put her down. I mean, I could have put her down, but the consequences of such an action would have been immense. You see, when the baby cries, it doesn't stress me out; I know that babies cry and she's certainly not the first baby to ever cry in my presence. The kids, however, are a different story. When she cries, they start hollering about how she's hungry, or she needs to poop, or some other made-up reason that makes sense to them. Then, they start getting stressed out because I'm not responding rapidly enough. Their stressing out causes me to stress out and the baby's cries end up in a screaming crescendo.

We have been snowed-in for a couple days now. Ellie has been getting increasingly fussy as the days wear on and I decided yesterday that I needed a sling. With the roads being completely useless, I am not able to go out and purchase one. Being the resourceful woman that I am, I started to look around the house for a remnant of fabric that would be long enough to make a sling out of. Wouldn't you know it--I had no remnants of fabric. After all, I don't sew.

Then, I remembered that I had something even better--twin sized sheets!!! Surely a top sheet was long enough. I could tie a square knot in it and sling it over my shoulder. It'll do, right?

Sure enough, it was perfect! I didn't have to cut or sew anything and no other materials were necessary. It'll do, for now.

Baby seems to like it and I was able to get a few loads of laundry done today--using BOTH hands! What a concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment